Friday, October 23, 2020

10-23-2020

 


Mary’s Minute

“Every new concept first comes to the mind in a judgment.”  ~ Charles Sanders Peirce

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”  ~ Socrates

 

Judgment is part of the learning process.  To create new ideas, we first need to analyze old ones.  At the same time, I am working to be slow to judge people.  I found these three quotes that when read together, perfectly reflect what I am trying to say. 

Judging is important, but what is equally important is that we judge (and discuss) ideas, not people.  When we can separate the two and pursue judgment of ideas, we can create a culture of learning that is also kind and compassionate. 

I want to try to be slow to judge people, always giving them the benefit of the doubt, in order to practice kindness.  I also want to focus more on judging ideas so that I can learn and grow.  This may be pretty simple, but for me it was somewhat revolutionary.  I was saying to myself, “Don’t judge.  Don’t judge.”  But then it occurred to me, if I am not judging/analyzing how can I learn?  It isn’t rocket science – judge ideas, not people. 

           

                                                            Have a great week!

                                                                        Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment