Saturday, October 17, 2020

10-16-2020

Mary's Minute

"Grace will take you places hustling won't."

                                                        - Brené Brown

I have always believed in the power of hard work or "hustling," but this year more than ever I am seeing the power of also giving ourselves grace.  One definition of grace is, "courteous goodwill," and we certainly believe in giving others courteous goodwill, so why not give it to ourselves?  For instance, my goal is to write Mary's Minute on Fridays, but this week I decided to give myself the grace to wait until Saturday.

This has been a year like no other, and I think every one of us has our unique struggles.  Being understanding with ourselves is not a permission to make excuses, but simply treating ourselves with the same kindness we would show to others, recognizing that our feelings and confusion are real. 

In being kind to ourselves and others, I think we will see that we will go places that hard work alone cannot take us.  

The next time we are feeling overwhelmed, sad, confused, or even angry, let's try to remember how we would treat someone else with those emotions.  My guess is that we would want to treat them with courteous goodwill, so please give yourself the grace also!

                                                                        Have a good week!

                                                                                    Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment