Friday, November 30, 2018

11-30-2018

Mary’s Minute

“The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.”          
                                                                                  ~ Bertrand Russell 

I recently wrote about how believe it is good to follow our feelings to make decisions.  I included in my column that my son, Bill, doesn’t share my belief in intuition.  I shared with him that I had written about him.  He quickly corrected me saying that he did believe in intuition and went onto explain that our definitions of intuition probably differ.  He explained that for him intuition is making decisions based on subconscious ideas and analyses, not “magic” (insert snarky look).    

I think he is right in that sometimes we follow our intuition believing it is a revelation that came from nowhere, when in fact it is based on our subconscious thoughts.  After all, our brains have a lot in them that we surely cannot fully consciously utilize. 

Here is where Bill and I differ.  I also believe in magic or miracles – in the unexplainable.  I think Bill is right that we are guided by subconscious thoughts that feel like they come from nowhere.  I also believe that sometimes our feelings really do come from a place that is unexplainable. 

Rational thought is valuable, and the basis for making most good decisions.  I am not proposing we run our lives and our classrooms by being guided by our feelings totally.  I do believe that sometimes our feelings – our intuition -- can guide us in the right direction.  Sometimes we do what “feels right” because we have the knowledge in our subconscious mind, and other times it is just (insert snarky grin) “magic.”

                                                                        Have a great week!

                                                                                               Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment