Friday, December 7, 2018

12-7-2018


Mary’s Minute

“There are more honest people and more good people than there are thieves and bad people. It's just always been that way.”  
                                                        ~ Michael Nesmith

This quote precisely sums up the story I wanted to share this week.  At the end of my somewhat hectic story, I was left with a feeling that there is more good (much more good) than bad in the world! 

Last week I was at a conference in Indianapolis and during a reception staged in an open lobby area of the Westin I hung my coat on the rack provided.  I left the reception, leaving my coat behind for another meeting in the same hotel.  When I received a fraud alert that my credit card that I left in the coat pocket, along with my driver’s license and a little cash, was being used, I rushed to the coat rack to find my coat and its contents gone. 

The Westin front desk clerk, Cooper, quickly involved the security supervisor, who started watching surveillance video.  In the meantime I Ubered to my hotel to avoid the cold without my coat.  (Sidebar – I Pricelined and stayed at a different hotel to save $$.)  About an hour later I received a call from Justin who told me he had good news and bad news.  He had recovered my coat, but not the contents.  I had already cancelled my credit card and knew I could easily get a replacement license, so I wasn’t disappointed.  The great part of the story is that Justin tracked down the people who took my coat (found them swimming in the hotel pool) with the woman in the group wearing my coat!  It gets even better – Cooper, the desk clerk, delivered my coat to me!  I was overwhelmed by their good, which for me far out-weighed the negativity of losing my cc and license. 

This story is not about a cold night in Indy, but about all the good there is in the world.  We may get discouraged when we watch the news, with our jobs, or with the students in our classrooms, but when we look around, we know that there is much, much more good than bad.  I want to focus on the good! 

                                                         Have a great week!
                                                                          Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment