Friday, November 2, 2018

11-2-2018


Mary’s Minute

“He who moves not forward goes backward.”
~ Goethe

This is a common fairly common expression we all have heard and probably said.  When we embrace a life – both personally and professionally – of continual improvement, the expression has special meaning.

We are either moving towards our goals or away from them.  One concrete way I think about this is with weight loss. For me, I feel like I am either gaining or losing weight!  I would like to think that I could get to a healthy weight and maintain, but for me it just has never worked!

I think the same can be said for accomplishments.  I want to always be moving forward, but in reality there are times that for whatever reason I am not.  When I don’t move forward, I slip a bit back. 

My cousin, who is a motivational speaker and uses juggling and unicycles to illustrate his points, explains that when riding a unicycle you cannot stand still.  Think about it – you either pedal forward or pedal backwards. 

If we embrace Goethe”s guidance, then we must accept that to accomplish our goals, we have to push forward at all times.  There is no neutral, only forward and reverse.  Let’s choose forward!

                                                         Have a great week!
                                                                             Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment