Friday, October 26, 2018

10-26-2018


Mary’s Minute

“Live your life and forget your age.”
                                                           ~ Norman Vincent Peale

I just finished reading Ed Whitcomb’s third book that he wrote about sailing solo around the world.  He began the journey in his 70s and completed the goal 10 years later right before he settled in Perry County.  (I highly recommend Cilin II: A solo Sailing Odyssey: The Closest Point to Heaven.)

He began the journey after he had served as Governor of Indiana and retired from a successful career as an attorney.  He was feeling lost in life when he decided to sail the Greek Islands. Circumferencing the earth became a goal shortly after he began sailing in the Mediterranean and met others who were on such a journey.

I was inspired by his story.  Although I loved reading about his adventures, most of what I appreciated is that age was not a factor in his decision or his drive. 

I had a similar reaction when I read an autobiography of my great aunt.  In her 50s she retired and moved across the country.  Her “retirement” didn’t last long, as she soon started a booming business.

Ed Whitcomb and my Aunt Eleanore didn’t focus on their age, but rather on living.  Maybe not so coincidentally, they both lived into their late nineties. Age is just a number, and life is a wonderful adventure regardless of our number.
        
                                                                         Have a great week!
                                                                                           Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment