Friday, December 17, 2021

12-17-2021

 


Mary’s Minute

“Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”

~ Mother Teresa

Whether we are talking about international politics, getting along with neighbors, or interacting with strangers on the street, Mother Teresa’s words hold special meaning.  Spreading love makes the world a better place!

I was recently standing in a very long line to check out, with only one register open.  Several people around were voicing extreme displeasure, while most of us grumbled more quietly.  At that moment, I had a little wake up call, and started saying to myself, “Be love; spread love.”  It took several deep breaths and repetitions of the mantra to shake my frustrations out.  By the time I got to the register, my goal was to do everything I could to make the cashier feel appreciated and hopefully a little happier.  It seemed to work.  She seemed grateful to be appreciated, and smiled as if she felt happier.  Incidentally, I walked out feeling happier too!

I like to think of Christmas as a holiday of love. I don’t want to denounce nor support the Christian aspect of the holiday, but I choose to think of it as a time to be love and spread love, regardless of religion or beliefs. 

Through the holiday season, during times of frustration and times of joy, a lofty goal can be to leave others happier by spreading love.  When we hear a carol, see sparkling lights, smell gingerbread, or even feel crisp winter air, there is love. 

The holiday season is filled with examples of people spreading love and leaving those around them feeling happier.  It is the most philanthropic time of the year.  It is a time of year for singing and playing games.  It is a time of year to unplug and be with family.  It is a time of year of love!  Be love; spread love, and in doing so you will leave those around you happier. 

                                                             Happy Holidays!

                                                                        Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment