Friday, December 10, 2021

12-10-2021

 



Mary’s Minute

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”

                                                                                                   ~ Buddha      

Have you ever lay in bed not able to fall asleep?  I think most of us have, and I when I find myself sleepless I have much running through my mind.  I sometimes think about the past and often planning the future – critique conversations I have had,  reflect on the past, think ahead to all the things I have to do, ponder problems I have to solve, and even worthlessly worry about what lies ahead.  In the times I find myself battling insomnia, I am not in the present.

 To be in the present is to be at peace, to be in the flow, to be one with the moment. 

I am not good at being in the moment.  I am constantly either replaying the past or thinking about what I have to do in the future.  It is a skill that I want to continue to work on because I know that when I can be in the present I can be a better listener, friend, and leader.  I also know that being in the moment is key to happiness.

During the holiday season, most of us have a long to-do list, so while we are doing one thing we are thinking ahead to all the other things we have to do.  All the while around us holiday carols play, children laugh, and fun abounds, which I think sometimes I miss.

Too often I am worrying about my next move instead of savoring the moment.  This weekend I am excited to travel with my mom to watch my sweet and talented niece, Ellie, perform as Clara in the Nutcracker Ballet.  My goal from the airport, the family conversations, and as a proud member in the audience, is to be in the moment – to be present.  I am going to strive not think about all that needs to be done between now and Christmas or to be reflective of the past, but to simply “be”.  Wish me luck, and I wish the same for you this holiday season!

                                                                                     Have a great week!

                                                                                                            Mary

 

No comments:

Post a Comment