Friday, September 3, 2021

9-3-2021

 


Mary’s Minute

It doesn’t feel like a coincidence that my mom was born on Labor Day.  Of course, having a baby born on Labor Day conjures up a different meaning for the woman giving birth, but for my mom it is fitting for another reason.  She is the hardest working person you will ever meet.  She doesn’t talk about hard work, and certainly doesn’t complain about it.  For her, work is not drudgery; it is just what she does and what she enjoys.  I often say the phrase, “When you love your job you never work a day in your life,” but when I try to think about my mom and “work” the line is blurred even more. 

Looking back to my childhood, I wonder how she did it all as an elementary teacher and a mother of three (and then four when our sweet Amy arrived), along with whatever adventure she and my dad were up to.  She spent her free time doing projects, like wallpapering a room or bricking a patio.  Many people would consider all of that labor, but not Helen!  It is just what she loved to do.

Now at 81 (almost 82), she spends her days happily moving rocks, planting flowers, and pulling weeds.  Most people call this hard work, but not my mom.

This Labor Day weekend, I am grateful for the model of hard work my mom has provided.  Maybe the greater gift that my mom demonstrates is finding joy in all we do!  I will enjoy some birthday cake with Helen this weekend and be sure to thank her for this gift she has given me.  You can be sure she will have some jobs for me to do, and when you see my reaction to her chores, it will be clear that her positive attitude about work has not completely worn off on me! 

                                                   Have a great long weekend!

                                                                        Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment