Friday, January 8, 2021

1-8-2021

 


Mary’s Minute

“It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom.”

                                                             Mahatma Gandhi

I had the great fortune to be raised in a home filled with love and support.  My parents made me feel secure and special.  My mom, who still showers me that same love and support, also taught me about humility.  She didn’t say it often, and never said it in a direct or derogatory way, but the words stay with me and motivate me to stay humble and kind: “Who in the heck do you think you are?”  Again, I want to stress that this was not something she ever directed to me in anger or disappointment; it was more of a general statement – not directed at any “you” but a statement of humanity.  It was her way of saying that all humans are capable and deserving.

We are all capable of doing great things and all deserving of great love, and my mom taught me that we need to do that with the understanding that all of us have that capacity and are equally deserving. 

 When we get too sure of ourselves or feel entitled, we will certainly stumble because we fail to see the good in others.

Humility is a gift.  There is an old country song with the sarcastic chorus, “Lord, it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way.”  Maybe it is easy for me to be humble because I know that I am far from perfect. 

I am grateful to my parents who helped instill in me a balance of self-respect and confidence with humility, understanding that alone I am so little.  It is wise to never think we are too wise.  True wisdom comes through working together and knowing that all of us are capable and deserving. 

                                                                         Humbly yours,

                                                                                    Mary

 

No comments:

Post a Comment