Friday, January 31, 2020

1-31-2020

Mary’s Minute

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
~ Confucius 

Recently I was with a group at a restaurant that had a card set of “conversation starters” on the table.  I was stumped by the first prompt, “If you could have any job, what would it be?”  I really pondered the question. I pride myself in being creative and adventurous, but I really had to say that I would choose the job of school superintendent. I love the work I do:  being able to think creatively to solve problems, never having two days that are the same, working with people who care deeply about their profession, meeting new people, collaborating with community partners, and working for the most important product on earth (our youth).  

Life is so short, and we spend a large part of our life at our jobs, so the thought of having a job that is not fulfilling is sad. I know that not all people are lucky enough to love their work. Sometimes survival precludes fulfillment, but fortunately most of us have choices.  

Mike Rowe, who is well known for his television show Dirty Jobs, among others, doesn't completely agree.  He says, “Why worry about doing something you love? Figure out what the opportunity is. Find a thing, get good at it, learn to love it later.”  I understand the challenge we have as a society of preparing our students for the workforce and allowing them to make a good living.  I know the hard facts that too many students are pursuing four year degrees, accumulating debt only to take jobs that pay less than jobs requiring a different kind of training.  I agree with Mike Rowe that we need a shift, but I cannot give up on the idea to follow our passions, finding jobs we love!  

I do believe in balance and making smart choices.  I know my son Bill is just a freshman in college, but he sees this.  He loves writing and wrote a novel during his first quarter off at college, but he doesn't see himself pursuing writing as a career.  He says he will always love writing, but he thinks his career will fall around another of his passions, physics, while writing will be a hobby. 

Maybe I am enough of an optimist that I believe we can do both -- choose work we love, while at the same time pursuing the opportunities as Mr. Rowe points out.  I am thankful that for me it has worked out that way at least, and I wish that for all of you!

                                                                             Have a great week!
                                                                                         Mary



1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you, Mary, and appreciate the work you do for others' and even more glad to hear how satisfying it is for you, too. Wish you all the best continued joy.

    ReplyDelete