Friday, January 6, 2017

1-6-2017

Mary’s Minute
“Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting.”
~ Joyce Meyer
I started my career as a kindergarten teacher, and when I told people that I was a kindergarten teacher the first comment I usually got was, “You must have great patience.”  The truth is I don’t.  I am not good at waiting – I don’t do well in lines, and I am action oriented and want quick results.  Normally in January I write about new beginnings and resolutions.  This year as we begin the New Year, what is on my mind is the power of purposeful waiting.  With the gloomy days of winter upon us, we long for warmth and sunshine.  With resolutions for changes in our lives (my standard resolution is always to lose weight!) we yearn for quick results.  When I think about waiting for spring or working for results, I think a simple comparison to waiting in a check-out line is helpful.  I have waited in line at times when I felt like my head would explode because I was so impatient and so rushed.  At other times, I have simply taken a deep breath and used the wait time as an opportunity for reflection and relaxation.  The line moves the same pace regardless of the state of mind.  The difference is what we do to ourselves.  Waiting to me implies wasted time, but I think the power of patience is that we use our wait time to be construction, even if that productivity is simply personal reflection and rejuvenation.  Whatever change you are looking forward to – whether as part of a resolution, in your teaching, or in your life, I hope that your waiting is purposeful in a way that doesn’t waste time but uses the down-time as a chance for another type of growth.
                                                            Happy New Year!
                                                                        Mary




No comments:

Post a Comment