Friday, January 20, 2017

1-20-2017

Mary’s Minute
“If you want to find happiness, find gratitude.”
                                                              ~ Steve Maraboli


I have always been a big proponent of the notion that happiness in life is a choice.  I also know that it just is not always that simple, and that simply willing something to be does not always make it so.  This led me to think about specific strategies to make our goal (being happy) a reality.  Spending time in nature or being with optimistic people are a couple of recommendations, but what I have found most helpful to live with a happy heart is to find gratitude.  One very specific strategy that I have learned is to start my day by reflecting upon the blessings in my life.  I try to make a mental list of things for which I am grateful before my feet hit the floor each morning.  This week I have taken it a step further and started a Gratitude Journal where I jot down a list each morning before I get up.  This type of gratitude is not proclaimed to the world; it is something we do privately just for ourselves.  So why bother?  The answer is simple, when we are grateful, we are happy!  Expressing gratitude to others is a gift of kindness that I strongly encourage, but feeling gratitude in our hearts is a gift to ourselves.  Happiness can be an elusive thing no matter how much we long for it.  It is exciting that we really do have power to make it possible:  1. by making a conscious choice to be happy; and 2. by consciously being grateful for the good in our lives.
By the way, my Perry Central family is on my list!
                                                                                Have a great week!

                                                                                  Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment