Friday, August 7, 2015

8-7-2015


Mary's Minute

“Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”

                                                                                    ~ Mother Teresa

Life has a way of shaping our beliefs, and I am intrigued that instead of life feeling more complex, it actually seems very simple.  Ultimately, what matters most in life is how we treat people.  Mother Teresa sums it up nicely.  Everything boils down to how we treat people.  My brother recently said, “I used to say we should be working to make the world a better place, but over the years I have boiled it down a little more.  That means we wake up every day working to make the world a better place by being nice to (loving) every single person we come into contact with every day, no exceptions, no passes.”  Perry Central is a place that puts people first, understanding that relationships are at the core of all we do.  The school year started with a powerful message from George Cuorus, who shared with our staff the power of technology and innovation, but most importantly the power of relationships. 

Unfortunately, I missed the opening day, but I feel connected and proud of that association.  On a personal level, I feel blessed in so many ways.  This week my daughter, Zoe, has been so sick, but while she lay in the hospital bed she smiled and thanked every caregiver her entered her room.  Life is complex; we have so much to accomplish, but in the end what really matters is how we treat each other. 

I appreciate the wonderful role models in my life, knowing I have so far to go to live the “simple” life to which I aspire.  Just last week my son, Bill, commented as I hung up with a customer service person, “Mom, why did you get so aggressive so quickly?”  I am not proud of that moment – I didn’t need to get aggressive at all, especially as Bill pointed out, “so quickly.”  Maybe on the backdrop of Zoe’s illness and the opening of this special school year, I am empowered to listen more intently and strive harder to follow Mother Teresa’s lead. 

Relationships matter.  People matter.  It is going to be a great school year!

 

                                                            Welcome Back!

                                                                        Mary

 

No comments:

Post a Comment