Sunday, May 24, 2015

5-22-2015


Mary’s Minute

“There is a good reason they call these ceremonies "commencement exercises."  Graduation is not the end; it’s the beginning.”

                                                                        ~Orrin Hatch


Graduation is a nostalgic event.  It is a celebration of accomplishments, but also a time of reflection on the past for graduates and their family and friends.  It is saying good bye to a phase in life.  The great part about graduation, like many major life events, is that as we say good bye to one era, we open the door to another.  Life is that way, we can’t help but be sad for the passing of time, but we also celebrate all that has happened and are excited about the future.  Parents especially have these feelings as we watch our children grow from babies to adults.  We tear up as they reach milestones, but we also are happy for their futures.  My own mother, who many of you know, once said that her favorite age of her children was whatever age we were.  I think of that often and of what a sweet thing it was of her to say and also a great way to look at life.  It is a lesson to appreciate the past, but to enjoy the present.  On graduation day, I admit I will likely fight the tears as Pomp and Circumstance plays and I reflect on these seniors through their years at PC, but I will smile and remember that this is a commencement of their future. Also I will remember to celebrate the present like my mom taught me.

                                                                                        Have a great summer!

                                                                                                                 Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment