Thursday, August 27, 2015

8-28-2015

Mary's Minute

When I entered the language education program at IU over twenty years ago, Jerome Harste was my idol.  He was a rock star to me, and I was in awe that I had the honor of sitting in his classes and discussing learning theory face-to-face with him.  I learned so much from Dr. Harste, who over time I called Jerry, and other professors during that time.  My philosophy of learning solidified during those important years.  Study involved pouring over books and writing countless papers, but the theory boils down to respect for learners.  

I remember seeing Jerry at a conference after I became a superintendent.  Most of his students become college professors, not school administrators. He groaned and said, "Oh no, you sold out!"  His fear was that I would be an administrator who put money and test score pressure ahead of respect for teachers and learners. When I look at Perry Central and the great things happening here I believe that we have not sold out!  We want teachers to feel supported so they can support learners. We want to respect learners as natural inquirers. We want to create an atmosphere that allows students to pursue their passions.  We want teacher meetings to focus on student learning and not test scores. 

My days of pulling all nighters in my cubby at the Wright Education Building are gone, but my awe of Jerry Harste, who now spends his days making sand sculptures on the beach is steadfast.  For him, and most importantly for our learners, I cannot let the pressures of day allow me to forget what really matters!

Have a great week!
Mary

2 comments:

  1. Well now, I'm going to have to take my moans and groans back. God bless you for keeping the faith and putting your beliefs to work. I miss seeing you but am thankful that you can inspire me from afar. My best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry, Thanks so much for your response! I love seeing your art work on Facebook and knowing that you and Jan are loving life. I want you to know that I think of you often and think to myself, "What would Jerry do."

      Delete