Friday, May 20, 2022

5-20-2022

 


Mary’s Minute

 

“Accepting help is its own kind of strength.”

                                                                           ~ Kiera Cass

I think many people can relate to how difficult it can be to ask for/accept help.  We love to help others, and we even recognize the joy we experience by giving of ourselves to others.  Reciprocating by allowing others to help us, is not as easy.

I remember when my son, Bill, was a strong-willed toddler, I would often say to him, “Part of being independent was knowing when to ask for help.”  I need to remember my own words, and not see accepting the kindness of others as a sign of weakness.

Part of being independent is knowing when we need to depend on others.  We are social beings – and we need each other.  It is not only okay, but a form of giving.

By graciously accepting help from others, we allow them to feel the same joy we receive from giving of ourselves.  It just doesn’t sound right, though!  “I’m going to ‘let you’ help me so you can feel good about yourself – go ahead and knock yourself out, and then you can thank me for giving you the joy of doing a good deed for me!”  I know that is extreme, but it still just doesn’t seem right to me. 

Not long ago, when I reluctantly asked my kids for help, my oldest son, Jess, said, “Mom, you help us all the time, so let us get joy from helping you.”  My sarcastic thought came to my mind, but I am going to work on accepting it with grace and gratitude. 

                                                                         Have a great week!

                                                                                 Mary

 


No comments:

Post a Comment