Friday, May 13, 2022

5-13-2022

 


Mary’s Minute

"I wasn't just going to walk, I was going to run. And then, once I stopped running, I was going to dance."                                                                           – Robert Battle

One of my favorite stories as an elementary teacher involved conversation I overheard of a kindergarten boy who was moving quickly down a hallway, only to be stopped by a concerned teacher.  The teacher said, “No running in the hallway,” to which the tot responded without missing a beat, “I’m not running; I’m skipping.”  As I reflect, I am lumping dancing and skipping into the same category.  To me they are both ways to move that are more fun than walking or running.

As I get closer to a transition to winding down my career as a school superintendent, I was drawn to this quote about dancing.  Metaphorically speaking, first we walk through childhood, then we run through adulthood, and finally we figure out that we should dance!  I like to think of dance both literally and metaphorically as a great way to live!

Last week my sister and I had the privilege of vacationing with our mom and her husband.  On the last night of the trip, we were sitting on the deck overlooking the ocean and decided to crank up some dance tunes.  We all ended up dancing awkwardly (well, at least me) as the waves crashed in the background.  It felt good physically and emotionally, and it also was a great way to feel connected. 

Back to the notion of going from walking to running to dancing.  I’m ready to focus more on the journey, then the destination.  Walking and running focus on getting somewhere, but maybe we should just dance and enjoy the process! 

I hope you dance!  Have a great week!  ~ Mary

 

No comments:

Post a Comment