Friday, April 29, 2022

4-29-2022

 

Mary’s Minute

“We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.”

                                                                                     ~ Jeremy Irons

 My bet is that if you take 30 seconds and think back to a memory good or bad – you won’t be able to not laugh out loud, smile big, or even cry (happy or sad tears).  Just writing this has evoked smiles, laughs and tears for me. 


The reality is that our mind has, shall we say, a mind of its own!
  In other words, we can’t totally control what will stick.  When I think back 50 plus years, I remember odd moments in my childhood.  When I was three I fell off a ladder in the woods and cut my head.  I still remember seeing the hard ground as I fell and a big boy carrying me home.  I just mostly have moments from my first ten years of life, but one thing that I do have is what Maya Angelou reminds us of – we don’t remember what was said or done, but we remember what we felt.  I remember feelings so much more than details.  I remember feeling safe and happy.  (I know I am lucky!) 

I do appreciate the time machine in my head, and I will continue to use it to “go back” to great times with my family, work families, and friends.   

What I think I have learned is that no matter how hard we try, we can’t control what memories will stick, but we can do all we can to embrace the moments and create feelings that can’t be forgotten.  We can do this for ourselves and for those around us – like our students.  Memories fade, but feelings are forever!  I am thankful for the memories and the feelings they evoke.

I also think that what makes memories even sweeter is the opposite dial on the time machine – the ability to dream.  We can’t go back in time, but we can dream of a wonderful future.

 

Have a great week!             

Mary

 


No comments:

Post a Comment