Friday, April 15, 2022

4-18-2022

 


Mary’s Minute

“Say yes, and you’ll figure it out afterwards.”

                                                                        ~ Tina Fey

Almost 20 years ago, I was a 38-year-old elementary assistant principal, when a group of school board members asked me if I could be a superintendent.  Like Tina Fey suggested, I said yes and have done my best to figure it out along the way!  I recently talked to a very successful person, who credited her success in her career to saying, “yes.”  For me, saying yes has made all the difference.

I know that in self-care, we talk a lot about the importance to saying no in order to protect ourselves from putting undue stress on ourselves.  I think we need to not underestimate the power of yes, along the way.    Saying yes opens up an array of opportunities and adventures that we may miss by saying no.

On the Netflix series, Grace and Frankie, free spirit Frankie loves the idea of a “yes night.” Although I have never tried this exact idea, the notion of saying yes sure resonates with me. 

Of course, I am not proposing that you allow yourself to be taken advantage of, but I am proposing that you think of “yes” as “Why not try.”

The reality is that when I said yes to being a superintendent, that was not my first yes.  I had said “yes” many times along the way that put me in a position to be asked that question.  Now after a 20-year career as a superintendent, I am thankful that I said yes, and my goal is to continue to say “yes” to a full life!

 

Have a great week!                                                                 Mary

1 comment: