Friday, May 28, 2021

5-28-2021

 


 

Mary’s Minute

“Don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened.” 

~ Dr. Seuss

My kids will tell you that I am a crier (not a town crier), but someone who cries!  Seldom do I cry tears of sadness – usually they are tears of joy, pride, and often nostalgia.  Nostalgia is defined as a wistful affection for the past, and certainly on days like graduation, retirement, or the last day of school we look back with affection for the past.  It doesn’t mean that we are not excited about the next chapter in life or the upcoming summer, but we are grateful for what we experienced.

I cried a few tears at my daughter’s graduation last Sunday and I cried each time I had the privilege of moving my three children into college.  I wasn’t sad on these days – and I wasn’t even sad that their childhood was essentially over.  I was affectionate for the past – appreciative that I have the great joy of being their mother and experiencing their childhood and these special days in their lives.

As school closes for the summer, and some people say good bye to a chapter of their lives through graduation, retirement, or other life changes, we may shed tears.  We are not crying because it is over, but crying because of the sweet joy that it happened, looking back over the year(s) with sweet affection.

                                                   Have a great summer!

                                                                        Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment