Friday, May 21, 2021

5-21-2021

 


“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.”

                                                                                 ~ Bryant McGill


Most of my weeks are full of a lot of meetings.  During meetings I do my share of talking and admittedly, some multi-tasking.  As I was sitting in a meeting with a group of colleagues working through towards solutions, I caught myself talking too loudly, and it struck me how I need to talk less and listen more – truly listen.  And not talking is not the same as listening!

I want to be a better listener for two reasons.  First because I know that I can learn from everyone around me.  Learning is generative, and together we are always better.  Multiple perspectives and ideas are what make us better.  The second reason I want to be a better listener is that a way to be respectful.

 A goal I always have it to be kind – and to show people that I truly care about them because I really do.  In that moment, sitting in one of my fifteen meetings of the week, I realized that being a better listener is not just about synergy, but also about kindness! 

In other words, listening is a skill that can help me achieve two important goals I have:  being kind and generating creative ideas!  It seems like an easy choice!

 

                                                                      Have a great week!

                                                                                  Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment