Friday, September 6, 2019

9-6-2019


Mary’s Minute

“There are many little ways to enlarge your world.  Love of books is the best of all.”    
                                                                                     – Jacqueline Kennedy

I am excited that this week received my first staff book club book for the year.  Also this week, Mia Bishop finished a book she was reading in our office and said, “I finished my book, but I am sad it is over.”  Reading -- what a wonderful gift it is!  I have been writing in a gratitude journal, and I when I list things for which I am grateful I include reading (the ability to read, the love of reading, the power of reading -- the gift of reading!)  Reading informs, empowers, entertains, transports, and inspires.  

Admittedly, I go through spurts when I don’t read as much as I do at other times, but I always appreciate reading. 

I am doing a lot of reflecting on motherhood as I anticipate an empty nest.  As a parent, I have many faults, but one thing I got right was reading to my kids.  I think that for me the value of reading came from my childhood.  Productivity was important in the Bower home, but reading, although it could be considered recreation, was always thought of as a priority and a way to be “productive.”  

A priority of education is to teach children how to read, and equally important we want to inspire them to want to read.  They certainly go hand in hand.  Knowing how to read is the first step to love reading, but then again, maybe it is the other way around.  The best way to teach someone how to read is for them to begin with a desire.
Reading -- what a gift.  This weekend I have a long to-do list, but I am smiling broadly at the thought of making time to dig into my latest book! 

                                                                                          Have a great week!
                                                                                                                        Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment