Friday, September 7, 2018

9-7-2018


Mary’s Minute

“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple.”
                                                                ~ Jenny Joseph

People who know me, know that purple is probably my least favorite color, but I love this excerpt from the Jenny Joseph poem, that expresses how as we get older we are better able to express ourselves. 

As we become older we are less concerned about what people think and are able to live life without worry of judgment.  Part of that is maturity, and maybe part of it is gaining courage. 

Courage to take risks without a fear of failure is the kind of courage that we have as babies learning to walk and talk, not fearful of making mistakes.  During our middle years we lose that sense of bravery, fearing judgment of others. 

The older we get perhaps the more comfortable we become in our own skin, less fearful of making mistakes. 

I doubt I my closet becomes filled with shades of lavender, but I do know that with age I am okay being me.  I have come to grips with what is important to me and how I can influence others to in some tiny way make the world a better place.  I know I will continue to stumble, but my blunders don’t hurt my feelings nearly as much as they once did.  Whatever age you are, I hope that you can “wear purple.”
           
                                                                 Have a great week!
                                                                                       Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment