Friday, February 9, 2018

2-9-2018


Mary’s Minute

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
                             ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I do not like the idea of sorting “minds” into categories of great, average, or small, but I love the idea that everyone can have great thoughts.  It is a pretty powerful notion to think about what we discuss.  When you are with your colleagues, friends, or family, what topics are discussed?  Part of what I like about this is that it is good to be cognizant about our conversations.  I think often we fill time chatting with people without stopping to think about the topics that fill the air.  If we want to have “great minds” we should focus on ideas.  When we are with colleagues do we focus on ideas about how to be better or how to enhance learning for students? When we are with friends do we talk about history, literature, and geography?  I want to talk about ideas, and I want to spend time with people who help me keep that focus.  I may not always be there, but it is something for which I can strive. 

Whether or not my mind is great, by focusing on ideas rather than idle gossip, my hope is that I can move towards having great thoughts.  It is pretty exciting that we have the power in that simple of way to move ourselves towards that pinnacle.

                                                                        Have a great week!
                                                                                    Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment