Friday, February 23, 2018

2-23-2018


Mary’s Minute

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
                                                                                     ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Last night I heard a great story that made me think of this Gandhi quote.  I won’t use her name since I didn’t ask permission, but she will know who she is if she reads this.   The story begins when I witnessed the delivery of a sweet treat a couple weeks ago.  I thought the good deed was nice, so when I saw the barer of the gift last night I told her how impressed I was.  It was then that I got the rest of the story… This person told me how a couple weeks ago she was having a really bad day.  She was discouraged and sad.  She was at a low spot, deep in the throngs of worry.  She said she made conscious effort to pull herself out of it, and the surest way she had to do that was to do something kind for others.  She looked around and quickly found a way to spread kindness by making a dessert to share with a couple.  This is where I entered the story since I witnessed the exchange.  I was impressed with the good deed.

Helping others makes us feel good, and it makes me smile that the hero in this story has an overt understanding of that concept. 

The other neat part about this story is the ripple effect.  This person felt good by doing something for someone else, the people who benefited from the tasty treat had a great feeling, and as a witness to the act of kindness I am further inspired by all the good there is in people. 
                                                                    
                                                                         Have a great week!
                                                                                            Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment