Friday, May 12, 2017

5-12-2017


Mary’s Minute

“I think in a lot of ways unconditional love is a myth. My mom's the only reason I know it's a real thing.”

                                                               ~ Conner Oberst

All of us have or have had a mother, and many of us are mothers to our own children.  Thinking of the love our mothers have for us or how we feel for our children is a great lesson in unconditional love.  Mothers love their children no matter what.  They may feel disappointed at times, but their love never fails. 

I think that teachers can equate the care they give their students to the unconditional love of a mother.  Being a teacher is a very “motherly” act.  Teachers don’t have favorites and don’t give up on their students, which sounds a lot like what mothers do.  As we celebrate Mother’s Day on Sunday, I obviously think of my own mother and about the joy of being a mother, but I also think of the motherly love all teachers (male and female) give to our students.

I also think that Mother’s Day is a time to reflect on the act of unconditional love.  When I think of unconditional love, I am not sure if it is more difficult to give or receive it.  As a mother, it feels easy to give unconditional love, but to accept it means that we must open our hearts and become vulnerable.  Why would anyone love us for no real reason?  Accepting unconditional love requires us to accept without trying to rationalize and to open ourselves up to the possibility of being disappointed.  It requires trust!  Giving and receiving unconditional love is worth the risk.  Mothers are our inspiration to give and receive unconditional love!

                                                               Have a great week!

                                                                         Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment