Friday, September 23, 2016

9-23-2016

Mary’s Minute
“Spread love wherever you go.  Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”
                                                                                               ~ Mother Teresa
The word love can be used in many different ways.  “I love your new haircut” as a thoughtful compliment.  “I love you, man!” to an old friend, or the tender “I love you,” to a significant other.  Eskimos have many words for snow because for of their need for precision in describing the white matter.  I wish we had more words for love in order to better describe its intricacies.  The Greeks had six different words for love.  My favorite is “agape” or love for everyone.  I believe that this is the love that Mother Teresa spoke about.  Love for our families and significant others is a special kind of love that is certainly connected to a love for all, but Mother Teresa’s brand of love is the kind we want to model our lives sharing.
When my dad died I remember as a family pouring over the intricacies of his monument.  We wanted the phrase, “Love Never Ends” etched in the granite as a reminder of the kind of love that Mother Teresa describes.  Not to take away from the relationship of my mom and dad, but we didn’t want the phrase engraved near their wedding date because we wanted the “love” that we were describing to stand for more than romantic love. 
Love – Perry Central style – is what Mother Teresa describes.  That love is our goal.
                                                                       With love

                                                                      Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment