Saturday, February 20, 2016

2-19-2016


Mary’s Minute

 

“What is art but a way of seeing?”
                                                                                                            ~Saul Bellow

 

I have always enjoyed “art” but never considered myself very good “at art.”  I love the notion of thinking of art as a way of seeing the world.  During my graduate school years, I spent time exploring semiotics, which is the study of sign systems or ways in which we “see the world.”  In our world and therefore in school, we value verbal and mathematical way of knowing.  Maybe society downplays the value of art and music because they are more difficult to test.  My comments are not meant as a political commentary on testing, although I do have opinions.  My purpose today is simply to reflect on the role of the arts not just in school, but in our lives.  They provide a powerful lens to see and know our world.  I love words, so I like to read and listen to the spoken word to learn.  I need to remember that music, theater, and visual arts also provide a way to express ourselves and to learn.  My daughter, Zoe, loves to read and write, but she also loves to draw.  (Thank you, Mrs. Poehlein, for encouraging her!)  I especially love to see Zoe combine visual art with words as she sketches to accompany the written word.  These places where “ways of knowing’ intersect are inspiring and uplifting.  I suspect there are a lot of people who do not feel they are good “at” art, but if we can see art as a way of knowing our world – both by observing and creating, I think we can see it as more accessible.  We don’t have to be Picasso to reflect on a painting or to doodle as a way of expressing our feelings.  Try seeing yourself as an “artist” not in a traditional sense, but as someone who uses art to communicate and know our wonderful world.

 

                                            Thanks for all you do! 

                                                          Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment