Friday, March 25, 2022

1-25-2022

 

Mary’s Minute

 “When was the last time you did something for the first time?”

                                                                                   ~ John C. Maxwell

 I’m glad I looked this quote up because I would have attributed it to Darius Rucker who created a country song from the motivational question. 

Well, this week has been a week of “first times” for this old girl.  On Tuesday, when I saw the fire ladder stretched out over the elementary, and students being loaded on buses for evacuation, I thought to myself that this was a first in my 20 years as a superintendent.  It turned out to be relatively minor, and thanks to a beyond amazing team effort everything went incredibly smoothly.

Last Friday night I did another first by attending a concert by myself.  Admittedly, when I bought the ticket less than 48 hours before the concert, I was thinking that I was sort of a loser to go to a concert all by myself, but as huge Darius Rucker fan I couldn’t pass up the lone front row seat that I was able to nab because I was flying solo.

When Darius starting belting out the lyrics, “When was the last time you did something for the first time?” the words resonated.  I consciously thought differently about my decision to be brave and buy the ticket.  As I sang along leaning against the stage, I was struck with a hopefulness about looking forward and trying new things even when in many ways I feel like the biggest parts of my life are behind me.  The song gave me hope that, although I have lived through a lot and have many great memories, I also have a lot of life left to live and many new firsts – if only I am willing to look for them.

Whether you are 27, 57, or 87, there is a beautiful life out there for us to live, so be ready to do something for the first time!

                                                                              Have a great week!      

                            Mary


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful message, Mary! Thank you! And John Maxwell is full of good words. Best wishes to you on writing an new chapter in the book of YOU.

    ReplyDelete