Friday, October 8, 2021

10-8-2021

 

Mary’s Minute

“One way to feel good about yourself is to love yourself... to take care of yourself.”

                                                                               ~ Goldie Hawn

As Fall Break begins, I think it is a good time remind ourselves the importance of self-care.  It is appropriate that “Treat Yo’ Self Day” falls over break.  If you aren’t a Parks and Rec fan you probably didn’t know that October 13th carried this label – and it exists only because of the show as far as I know.  On Parks and Rec, Donna Meagle (played by Retta) and Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari) treated themselves across the seasons on October 13 every year.

Treat Yo' Self Day is introduced in Season 4, Episode 4 of Parks and Recreation Season 4. In the episode, Tom describes the day: "Treat. Yo. Self. Once a year, Donna and I spend a day treating ourselves. What do we treat ourselves to? Clothes. Treat yourself. Fragrances. Massages. Treat yourself. Mimosas. Fine leather goods...It's the best day of the year."

In our family we have not adopted the day totally, but the phrase sure has caught on!  My children often say it to me if I am hesitating to do something for myself. 

Most people are quicker to treat loved ones, rather than themselves.  I admire generosity and humility.  I also think that it is good for you to treat yourself, remembering the value of self-care and affirming that you are worthy.  Your treat doesn’t need to be a monetary item like Donna and Tom, but I do urge you to remember that you deserve to be treated!  Whether it is on October 13th or any day you choose, treat yo’ self! 

                                                                       Have a great break!

                                                                                          Mary


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful insight and reminder! I try to "Treat Yo Self"...like I would a friend..."treat yo self like you was your own best friend"!

    ReplyDelete