Friday, December 11, 2020

12-11-2020

 


Mary’s Minute

“For it is in giving that we receive.”

                                                    ~ Francis of Assisi

As many of us are busy preparing for Christmas gift giving, I am inspired by St. Francis’ reminder of the joy of giving.  I know that St. Francis was not just talking about material gifts, but all of our gifts.  During this time of year I can’t help but draw the comparison of the joy we receive from both giving physical gifts and of giving of our own time and talent.

 

I admit that I love shopping for Christmas gifts.  It is so much more fun to give than to receive, and I am grateful for the wonderful feeling of giving.  Selfishly, I like to buy my kids what I like to give them and I get so excited thinking about them opening their gifts!

The joy of giving material gifts provides a metaphor for the feeling we can get in giving of ourselves.  For instance, when you need a reminder of why doing for others is important for us, remember the joy of a toddler on Christmas morning.  How can we not smile as the giver?

The greatest way to find happiness is to give, rather than to receive.  As Ben Sweetland said, 

We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own.”  I love Christmas, and I hope that I can light a torch for others because I sure am grateful for my path being brightened by the joy of giving!

 

                                                                    Have a great week!

                                                                    Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment