Friday, June 5, 2020

6-5-2020


Mary’s Minute

“We can learn to see each other and see ourselves in each other and recognize that human beings are more alike than we are unalike.”
                                                            ~ Maya Angelou

The last thing I want to do is over-simplify or discount the genuine issues that our country is experiencing. I never feel like I have the right words, and I worry more about saying the wrong thing, so I often say nothing.  I can’t say nothing, so forgive me if I do not have the right words. 

I started my career as a kindergarten teacher, and I often am drawn to the words of Robert Fulghum who said, “All I really need to know I learned in kindergarten.”  Likewise, I believe the words of Maya Angelou help keep us grounded, knowing that as human beings we are more alike than we are different. 

Recognizing the simplicity of treating people the way we want to be treated and realizing that we are more alike than different, does not erase systemic racism, but it is the best start I know to genuine change. 

At the most basic level it is about what “loving one another.”  I wish I had a detailed plan for bringing our divided country together.  All I know is that we are all humans with love in our hearts.  I believe that if we can truly give and accept the love that is shared among humans, who are more alike than different, we can heal and thrive as a society.

                                                                     I wish you well!
                                                                                 Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment