Friday, September 18, 2015

9-18-2015


Mary’s Minute

“Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”

~Peter Drucker

The difference between leadership and management was a common theme in nearly every administrative class I took for my superintendent’s license.  It is true that organizations need managers to make sure things run smoothly.  This is where knowledge of policy, procedures, and budgets come in handy.  Many elements of working with people also fall under the management umbrella.  The important element in operating an organization is leadership.  At Perry Central we strive to do things right, but as Drucker points out we believe that we must do the right things.  We are fortunate to have a school board that leads with the goal of doing the right things.  Speaking for myself, I know that I make mistakes, but my quest is to treat people fairly and do the right things for our students, employees, and community.  Leadership, like everything we do, falls back to our core beliefs, so when we believe that kindness matters that effects how we treat people and run our organization.  In education there is a rule of thumb to make decisions that are best for kids, and at Perry Central we take it a step further striving to do what is best for kids and also the right thing.  Again, I know that I fail, but I will continue to strive to do the right things because that is the true essence of leadership and the heart of Perry Central.

Have a great week!

Mary

 

No comments:

Post a Comment