Friday, August 22, 2014

8-25-2014


Mary’s Minute

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”                            ~Confucius

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”

~ Thomas A. Edison

People who know me have often heard me repeat Confucius’ advice.  I have long stressed to my own children the value of finding work that you enjoy and that will make a difference in the world.  I am sad for people who see work as drudgery and/or something separate from their zest for life.  Putting it simply, life is too short to spend the majority of our waking hours doing something that does not bring us satisfaction.  I have always felt lucky to work in education because it is a natural avenue for work that brings fulfillment.  Our goal is to help our students see that the best life work is work that grows from personal passion.

The Thomas Edison quote may seem to contrast the happy-go-lucky ideal of Confucius, but for me they go hand in hand.  Hard work is a good thing.  Maybe it is my German-Polish heritage that helps me see the natural value of hard work.  It certainly was nurtured by my parents who taught me through example that hard work was necessary for life, but also fun.  I remember pulling weeds as a family in a soybean field when my dad was a part-time farmer, in addition to his job as an elementary principal.  I still remember laughing together as sweat rolled off our faces on that hot July day some forty years ago.  When I reflect of my own career, I can say that I never set out to be a superintendent.  I just always worked hard at what was in front of me and enjoyed every job that I was ever fortunate enough to hold.  Work – the art of accomplishing tasks – is a great gift.  I want to do all we can to help instill in our students the joy of finding work that helps them follow their passions as they contribute to society. 

                                                                                Have a great week!

                                                                                Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment